Friday, January 28, 2011

The Crock Pot of Life

When it comes to cooking I’m not into following an exact recipe. I like to play it pretty loose in the kitchen. That’s why I love crock pots. The whole concept of throwing whatever you happen to have on hand into the pot in the morning and finding a surprise at dinner time is wonderful. Today I dumped chicken and broth, brussel sprouts, onion, red pepper, carrots and a bunch of spices into the pot. I’m planning on adding rice later. Yum.


Dinner is one thing, but I’m pretty structured when it comes to my life. I'm not comfortable mixing things randomly together and hoping for the best. I’m constantly prioritizing, wondering, “What’s the most important thing I should do right now?”


My family and our household have always been a major focus. Financial responsibility ranks high, too. Of course, I always make time for God. And now I’m launching a career as a writer. I take this all pretty seriously. I get upset when I don’t finish important things on my list. I think, “Oh no! Time is ticking away, I need to hurry.” My shoulder muscles tighten up, I get nervous.


But today I started thinking about the crock pot. I never put anything in there I don’t like. I only add good ingredients and it always seems to turn out. Maybe if I could just relax with life, and keep adding the good stuff: God, love, family, reading, writing, fun, the outdoors, etc. Maybe then everything will work out great. Worrying about the details--how much time should be spent on what and when--probably isn’t that important in the broader scheme of things. I really need to just live and enjoy. Sometimes the most obvious things are the hardest to see.


It’s sixty nine degrees in Denver today, it may be winter, but it feels like spring. I’m going to take advantage of the day and go for a walk. When I get back I’ll munch on that crock pot in the kitchen. It’s already starting to smell good.



See where your own energy wants to go, not where you think it should go. Do something because it feels right, not because it makes sense.” Mary Hayes-Grieco

No comments:

Post a Comment