Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Romance?

On Saturday, children’s author Denise Vega spoke about trends in middle grade and young adult fiction at the Hearts of Denver Romance Writers meeting. I attended only to hear Denise's speech, but made a spontaneous decision to join the group. It’s a small organization of about 40 members. Even if I continue to write mysteries and never write a romance novel I could benefit from this group. Commercial fiction incorporates the same basic principles in all genres.

Of course, after mingling with all the romance writers, I now feel a passion to write one. Well it’s really more of a curiosity, but the word passion sounds appropriate given the topic. I wonder if romance writers are more dramatic? I do tend to exaggerate. Hmmm. I might be good at this.

I wouldn't have to switch to adult readers to write romance. I could write a middle grade romance novel. It would involve a boy and a girl having a crush on each other and in the end holding hands. Pretty exciting stuff, don’t you think? A young adult romance novel is another option. A lot more than holding hands is allowed in that genre.

Whether I stick with children’s books or move into adult romance it might be fun to try something different. When I finish editing my middle grade mystery I might try my hand at a romance. We’ll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment