Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Children's books are for adults, too.

When my kids were little I enjoyed bedtime stories as much as they did. At first, I read them my childhood favorites, in particular, The Little House books. They liked Laura Ingalls Wilder, but soon developed their own taste in literature. Over time I became just as attached to the endearing characters and intriguing plots in their preferred stories as I was to my own. I realized even though adults are not the target audience, they, too, can relate to children’s books.

The Berenstain Bears by Jan and Stan Berenstain was a big favorite at our house. One night when my son was in preschool The Berenstain Bears and the Trouble with Chores was our bedtime story. I’d had a hectic day, and I so connected with the overworked Mama Bear who did all the household jobs with little help, I actually teared up. My son noticed and asked, “What’s the matter?” I told him, “I feel just like Mama Bear.” “Oh,” he answered, a frown of acknowledgement forming on his forehead. He patted me on the arm and the next day, did all his chores without being asked.

We read to kids because we want to encourage their development, we don’t expect to get anything out of it, but most times we do. My oldest daughter fell in love with Pippi Longstocking by Astrid Lindgren when she was four years old. It’s easy to understand how a child struggling to learn all the do’s and don’ts of society would be attracted to Pippi’s lifestyle which involved few rules. Similarly, all three of my kids loved, Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice Sendak. Both these books invite the reader to let go of their inhibitions. Adults can indulge in letting our imaginations run just as much as kids.

Another common theme in kids books we need to hear is, “I can do it.” The Boxcar Children by Gertrude Chandler Warner is a series my children loved because it shows kids as capable problem solvers. The Alden children take on responsibilities that wouldn’t normally be given to a child and they succeed. The feeling that the we can accomplish our goal is a positive experience we would all like to have. It seems the world is quick to tell us, “You can’t do that, it will never work.” After awhile adults start to believe it. Children’s books can revive our thought processes so we are more positive. I’ve been watching the Olympics the last few weeks and I’ve heard a similar story from several successful athletes--their Olympic dream started when they were young. Their brains absorbed the concept that they were going to be Olympians before they grew up and learned the odds weren’t in their favor. They believed in themselves and their dream came true. As a writer I try and ignore all the “it’s so hard to get published,” comments and I find the best way to do it, is to pick up a children’s book. It can change my mood in no time.

Man is most nearly himself when he achieves the seriousness of a child at play. Heraclitus

No comments:

Post a Comment